Monday, January 18, 2010

Post holiday cleaning


The tree is down, the mistletoe put away and the cookies are just about gone. If you're like me, right about now you're thinking that the house, apartment in my case, is looking pretty darn bare and boring.
Take this time to fight the winter blues and get caught up on some cleaning by starting a new routine. It has taken me forever to figure it out but, life (housework at least) really is easier when you have a plan of attack!
I've been using a list from Real Simple Magazine to help guide my daily cleaning. One thing I have added to this list is laundry. I am constantly behind on laundry but every night, I take whatever is lying around and put it in my laundry sorter in the basement. This way, as soon as I get a full load, I can throw it in the machine and wash it.
Now that I have the apartment put back together, I'm working on a few small projects to mix things up a little bit. Our fireplace mantel is a bit of a general mish-mash so, I'm working on pulling that together. This is it's current status. As you can tell, it's boring and needs a little updating. The picture above from mantelscapes.com is my inspiration of the new fireplace. I adore French Country style and even though our living room has a lot going on, I think it might help pull it all together.

In addition to the fireplace, I'm also working on our bedroom. There isn't anything "wrong" with it but, it sure has a lot more potential than what we're utilizing. My vision is a calm and soothing room that is a homey feel but hotel-style luxury. This is the room where I should be able to just collapse after a long day and feel completely at ease. Right now, our bed spread is calming greens and browns but, everything seems to be blending together with our wooden bed, cream colored carpeting and wooden dressers and night stands. I'd like to give it all a little bit of refreshing color similar to this bedroom from Real Simple.
So what projects are you planning for the rest of the winter? Share your thoughts and ideas over the next week for your dealing with the end of the holidays and the rest of wintertime!

Until next time,

The LFW

No comments:

Post a Comment